Monday, November 24, 2008

That time of year

I used to just LOVE the holiday season. The anticipation, the smells of good food in my mother's kitchen, even the cold weather-- I loved it all.

But that changed somehow, somewhere. Maybe when I started working for a living and suddenly I didn't have time to enjoy the anticipation? Maybe when I realized kitchens don't just automatically produce good smells--there has to be a competent cook present? Maybe when I had to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas and it just wasn't the same?
I think I lost the spirit along the way.

But this year.... this year. I don't know how it happened, but I'm feeling excited again. Is it the 4-year-old who is begging me for snow? Who gets wide-eyed when I talk about Santa? And the pretty red and white snowflake dress I just bought for a certain small girl? Listening to the never ending Christmas wish list?

Thanks kidlets, thanks for giving me back the wonder and magic of this time of year.

No comments: